One of the major reasons I went with Google AppEngine over other
possible solutions was that I believed that I wouldn't have to worry
about capacity issues. If I wrote to the GAE API, my app would work
just as well for 10, 100, or 1000 users. My application is the back-
end content delivery system for an iPhone application, and when
Verizon users started coming online last Thursday my GAE traffic went
crazy. Here's a chart:

https://skitch.com/smeans/rqugd/dashboard-coolibah-gallery

My third-party monitoring service (Pingdom) has reported several
outages since then (one of about 55 minutes.) I've authorized plenty
of daily budget for my app, and done my best to use memcache, etc. to
keep the performance up.

Now, I'm afraid to do anything to disturb my application
configuration. I haven't made any changes to my inventory, etc.
because I don't want to invalidate cache and possibly end up with
another major outage like I experienced Friday.

How can I separate problems due to Google infrastructure from problems
due to my application architecture?