Hi Ed,
One issue you'll have is where you have a large time frame to query over and
some cars that make infrequent journeys and cars that make very frequent
journeys so you'll have to scan a lot of key entries to find all cars, so as
a further optimization, if you are able to somehow classify a car by it's
general frequency of journal entries, you could assign slot numbers to the
cars. It wouldn't matter if sometimes they deviate from this general
frequency. For example, create five slots, let's call them A,B,C,D,E and
let's say car 123 infrequently makes journeys then they go to slot A and car
789 makes frequent journeys so they go to slot E. Then you can add that slot
number to the Car entity information and add the slot number to the
beginning of the CarJournal keys so it now looks like:

    SLOT:DATE:CAR-ID
    A:2011:02:14:17:13:33:123

So, now when doing your query for cars, you'll get the cars your interested
in and determine the slot they are in and group the cars according to slot
and run the following query per slot for the cars in that slot:

select __key__ where __key__ >= MAKEKEY(Slot + StartDate + CarId) && __key__
<= MAKEKEY(Slot + EndDate + CarId) order by __key__ DESC

Now, you'll have more queries to run (up to five or maybe 3 if you choose
three slots, etc.), but if you're classification of cars is even mildly
accurate over a long period you'll probably save yourself a lot of scanning.

Let us know how your testing goes and what you end up doing,
Stephen