This isssue has been covered on other posts -- with no clear answer.
(see:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/88cde75072a08fc2/56b80e93e40ce3dd
and
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/1c8dd575aa6804c2/e84294dc934a1500
for reference)

We are releasing a web version of our app today and we expect a lot of
traffic! We use app engine as a service and our main server calls it a
lot. It seems google thinks our server is a bot:

*********

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network.
Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming
from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the
Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests
stop.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-
in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your
network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different
computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may see this page if you are using advanced terms that
robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

IP address: 74.59.65.112
Time: 2011-02-22T14:57:38Z

How can we avoid this problem? Is it possible to whitelist an ip? We
currently do not use authenticated urls on app engine -- could that
solve the issue?

Thank you!
Marc