One thing to watch, appengine is a "cloud" service, and could well
move IP address from time to time.

This is normally transparently handled by DNS.

but early versions of HAproxy only accept a IP address for a server,
later versions accept a hostname, but will only resolve it once at
startup.

If this is your problem you might need to make sure a hostname is
specified in the config file. But also might need to be reloading
haproxy from time to time.

---

The next issue is the "Host" HTTP header. haproxy will just forward
the hostname provided by the client to the backend.

If this is not the hostname appengine is expecting then it wont work.
(either x.appspot.com or your custom domain)

... to resolve this, will probably need to use Google Apps to register
your actual domain, and setup Appengine to be accessible by that
domain name.
Alternativly might be able to get haproxy to rewrite the Host header
to one that AppEngine is expecting. I havent explored how feasible
this is in haproxy.