Hey everyone,

We're looking for folks who might be interested in this feature on our
roadmap (http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/roadmap.html):

   - Background servers capable of running for longer than 30s

I'll try to provide some background on this feature, but I won't be able to
provide many details past it as there are parts which are still changing.
Basically, servers allow you to mark certain portions of your application as
being long-lived. These portions of your application will co-reside with the
dynamic instances and will be accessible. A good use case, for instance,
would be if you were building a game world and needed a server that took
care of constant state changes in memory that was more reliable and custom
to your needs than memcache.

If you're interested in signing up for this feature, please fill out this
form here:

https://spreadsheets2.google.com/a/google.com/viewform?hl=en&hl=en&formkey=dGNwTThQNFdXbXF5b19CZU1OSmYxb3c6MQ#gid=0

Unfortunately, I can't provide too many details beyond what I've already
talked about here, so the best way to see if your use case is a fit is to
describe it in that form for us to consider. I'll revisit the list again
next week and start emailing developers I think might be a fit. We're
looking for developers that are a little bit more courageous and willing to
not only learn some new APIs, but also implement them in at least a staging
environment and give us feedback.

As with all trusted tester programs, documentation and sample code are works
in progress, so you'll have to be prepared for a potentially large number of
changes, but sometimes it's a really cool thing to get access to the next
big App Engine feature.

Again, I won't be able to answer too many questions here on the groups (one
question you'll see on the form is whether or not you can sign an NDA), so
the best thing to do if this sounds even remotely like something that might
be useful is to apply and describe what you would use this feature for in
your application.

Cheers,

--
Ikai Lan