Hi Samuel,
  You might want to look at pre-computing bounding boxes.  That will
enable you to run an equality search to narrow down your result-set
(filtering some items in memory) and you'll still be able to order by
some other property.  You may need to fetch results from multiple
bounding boxes to get the radius you want.

  The idea is very simple and intuitive, effectively you store a list
of 'boxes' with a progressively lower resolution.  You accuracy in a
'known' way so that you can pre-compute the boxes and run equality
queries at the appropriate resolution.

  Here are a few resources discussing this topic:
    http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/geosearch.html
    http://code.google.com/p/geomodel/

Robert