I am using GAE to host my apps. I upload it using the command:
appcfg.cmd update <path to war folder>

This works great, but this NEVER asks for any authentication of any kind,
like my gmail username, password. How does google authenticate that the
update request is genuine and is coming from the legitimate owner?

I just mention my app id in the appengine-web.xml file, but this application
id can be gained by anyone and anyone can upload apps on behalf...

What am I missing here?