I did not - i'm definitely going to add that, thank Dale.  I re-
enabled the queue the other day and it's been behaving as expected, so
it was definitely some external factor that made it spin out of
control.

My project is a cloud based data historian on www.nimbits.com where
users attach arduino devices to the services and record second by
second data, so when they delete a data point I need to chew through
the obsolete values that were recorded to that point. I ran out of
quota on a day where a user deleted a point with millions of recorded
values on it. It was supposed to just be a small background task.