I am trying to serve two different sub domains (www.domain.com and
app.domain.com).

The www domain is the primary web site. This will initially be basic html
and/or jsp pages. As it evolves there may be some simple servlets driving
it.

The app domain is the main application I'm developing (and currently my
primary focus). It is a standalone application but there will be links
between the two sites (www & app).

My question is - Can I create two App Engine projects to support the sub
domains? I understand that using multiple apps to spread out the quotas is
not allowed. In this case I'm simply trying to divide up the functional
units between the app and the web site.

In the future there will likely be more than one application/project. Each
of these will be linked from the www domain. In this case it makes even less
sense for the sub domains to be combined as they will be unrelated apps.

So I guess what I'm asking is if it is OK to create an app strictly for my
WWW domain with links to my APP domain?

Thanks