I am using the default task queue with the following settings:
rate = 10/s
bucket-size = 10
max-concurrent-tasks = 72
min-retry-seconds = 10
max-retry-seconds = 20

I submitted 72 tasks to a resource that is a Java servlet that is a
300 second while loop.  Billing is enabled.  Each task will write a
very small entity to the datastore.

The job was submitted at Thu Mar 17 7:03 am Eastern time.  It should
have finished by 7:08 am Eastern, ideally, but given GAE's flaws,
probably more like 7:11 am.

It is now 7:15 am and there are no tasks in the queue, no relevant
messages in the log, no instances running, and no objects in the
datastore.  What is the problem?

This code was already tested with slightly different settings and is
known to work (billing disabled, 300 second tasks, 20 instances).