But by saying that, you agree that it's indeed difficult and it can be
implemented in various ways, which actually only lead to one thing: a
counter.

If GAE has it built-in, lazy people like me don't have to scratch head
to implement one that works efficiently (and keep wondering whether
there's better implementation elsewhere), because the wheel is already
invented.

But I agree that covering all use cases are hard.