Over time, I've developed a ritual where I up the version number of my app,
deploy, spin up an instance with the new version, and then switch the default.
I do this because GAE used to consistently throw 500 errors if I just deployed
a new version with the same version number over my running default.

Recently, I've tried skipping the ritual in a couple non-critical applications
(I just left app.yaml alone and did a deploy), and I didn't get the 500 error.

So has Google fixed the bug that caused those errors?  If I can safely
eliminate the ritual, I'd like to.

-Joshua