I'm working on the best way to transfer data from one app to another
for a MS-HR migration. My tests with the bulkloader have indicated I
would need to disable my app for several hours, to download from the
old app and then upload to the new one.

Downsides to this approach are that there is no obvious way to do the
download and upload at the same time, and all the data has to be
downloaded to and from a staging server. In my case that server is in
New Zealand, which increases latency a lot.

So my current thinking is for my old app to use urlfetch to send data
directly to the new app - all over Google's network, so it should have
the minimum latency. After dissecting the bulkloader, I'm planning the
following process:

- The old app converts a batch of entities to protocol buffers
- The old app urlencodings and POSTs to the new app
- The new app rewrites the app ID in the protocol buffers
- The new app converts the protocol buffers back to entities and saves
them

Can anyone see any potential problems here? I use entity ids heavily,
and I think this process preserves them, as the bulkloader does.

Assuming all goes well, I will be documenting the process to aid
others wanting to make the big MS-HR switch.