Particularly Godaddy. The elephant episode was the last straw - I'm
now with Namecheap who have a sane user interface, a fraction of the
upselling, and a CEO who doesn't try to dress up his big game hunting
as a humanitarian act. And they're cheaper.

You can transfer active domains without too much pain by switching
name servers to a third party (Namecheap provides Free DNS) first.

I strongly suggest Google cut their ties with Godaddy - they are the
biggest, but their CEO is a bull in a china shop and I wouldn't trust
him as a partner in any enterprise.