@bFlood : Maps Premium is an expensive service used by not public-
facing, password protected Web sites, while what we are talking about
here is the free Google Maps service, where G is penalizing all Apps
running on top of GAE since they have to share the ip addresses pool
of GAE ip adresses.

@Ikai : what you write applies to old maps (V2) API where you can
obtain an application authorization key and applications are rate
limited based on this key, although I feel that some kind of ip based
limitations exists also.
Maps V3 which is the way to go especially for mobile appls, do not
require an application key, instead there are rate limitations based
just on originating IP addresses, this puts GAE based appls on a
disadvantage since we have to share this with all other GAE based
appls using the service.

Regards
Nick