On Apr 18, 5:45 pm, kernco <colin.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm building a Chrome extension that will talk to a backend GAE (python
> runtime) app to get some required data, and also as persistent data storage
> for the user.  I'm not using HTML5 for the persistent data storage because
> GAE will allow users to log into the extension and have the same data no
> matter what computer they're on.  My question is whether I can somehow use
> the GAE users service to do this.  Basically I'm envisioning something like
> a browser action popup would show the GAE login screen, they log in with
> their google account, and then their credentials are stored in the chrome
> extension.  Then the extension will make RPC calls to GAE, passing the
> credentials.  Does that sound feasible?  The part I'm most uncertain about
> is how, once the user logs into GAE, to transfer that login to the Chrome
> extension.

Yes, but differently.

Here's an example workflow for logins:
1. EXT --> APP -users.create_login_url()-> API --> APP --> EXT
2. EXT popups the login_url and asks the user to submit
3. GOOG auths user, redir to APP
4. EXT's APP asks user to close the window
5. EXT can now store the cookie in HTML5 storage and call your RPC api
all it wants

sorry if this is somewhat confusing.