Hi,
as you probably know you have stumble upon gae transaction internal design.
They set their internal entity group on any datastore statement when
transaction is active and I am not sure that they intended to allow us to
set it directly.

>From my standpoint they should prevent contention by them self, if entity
group was not set (there was no datastore statement). I think that this is
issue that exists from the beginning and if am their project leader I would
probably say that (three years later) this is not priority issue.

Thank you for your assistance. You are indeed GAE MVP ;)