Is http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=4265 related?
I'm getting base64 back after the upload, which I pretty sure the server
should decode it. I'm not sure about character issues. Also, blobinfo is
recording the wrong file byte size for base64 files, which after comparing
the sizes of files it appears the headers are being included in the
calculation.

My goals is to upload images drawn in HTML5 canvas.

I made a demo and source to show that base64 encoded upload is failing.
http://demogwtcanvas.appspot.com
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-examples/source/browse/trunk/DemoGwtCanvas/src/org/gonevertical/democanvas/client/UploadImage.java
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-examples/wiki/gwt_hmtl5 - wiki stuff about it

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=4265