(From
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2011/05/app-engine-150-release.html)

App Engine 1.5.0
Release<http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2011/05/app-engine-150-release.html>

The App Engine team has been working furiously in preparation for Google I/O
time and today, we are excited to announce the release of App Engine 1.5.0,
complete with a bunch of new features. This release brings a whole new
dimension to App Engine Applications with the introduction of Backends, some
big improvements to Task Queues, a completely new, experimental runtime for
the Go language, High Replication Datastore as the new default configuration
(and a lower price!), and even more tweaks and bug fixes.
 Serving Changes

   - *Backends*: Until now all App Engine applications have been running on
   short-lived dynamic instances that we spin up and down in response to
   application requests. This is great for building scalable web applications,
   but has a number of limitations if you are looking to build larger,
   long-lived, and/or memory intensive infrastructure. With 1.5.0, we are
   introducing Backends which will allow developers to do precisely this!
   Backends are developer-controlled, long-running, addressable sets of
   instances which are as large as the developer specifies. There are no
   request deadlines, they can be started and stopped (or dynamically start
   when called), they can use between 128M and 1G of memory and proportional
   CPU. If you’d like to find out more, have a read through our Backend docs
   for Java <http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/backends/>
andPython<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/backends/>
   .
   - *Pull Queues*: Most of our users are heavily using Task Queues in their
   applications today, but there is lots of room for more flexibility. With
   1.5.0 we are introducing Pull
Queues<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/taskqueue/overview-pull.html>
   allow developers to “pull” tasks from a queue as applications are ready to
   process them, rather than relying on Task Queues to push tasks at a
   pre-configured rate. This means you can write a Backend to do some
   background processing and pull 1, 10, or 100s of tasks off the Pull Queue
   when the Backend is ready for more. In addition, we’ve introduced a REST API
   which will allow external services to do the same thing. For example, if you
   have an external server running to do image conversion or OCR, you can now
   use the REST API to pull tasks off, run them, and return the results. In
   conjunction with these 2 improvements, we’ve also increased the payload
   limits and processing rate. We are excited both about expanding the use of
   Task Queues as well as improving the ease of integration between App Engine
   and the rest of the cloud.

Datastore

   - *High Replication Datastore as default*: After months of usage and

feedback<http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2011/03/high-replication-datastore-solid-choice.html>
on
   the High Replication datastore (as well as a record of 99.999% uptime so
   far) we are now confident that it is the right path forward for the majority
   of our users. So, today we are doing two things: setting HRD as the default
   for all new apps created, lowering the price of HRD storage from $0.45 down
   to $0.24, and encouraging everybody to begin plans to migrate. We really
   appreciate all the time that early users of HRD put into trying it out and
   finding issues and have fixed a number of those issues with this release.

Changed APIs

   - *URLFetch API*: In response to popular demand, the HTTP request and
   response sizes have been increased to 32 MB.
   - *Mail API*: We have added a few restrictions to the Mail API to improve
   the reliability and reputation of the service for all applications. First,
   emails must be sent from email accounts managed by Google (either Gmail, or
   a domain signed up for Google Apps). Second, we’ve reduced the number of
   free recipients per day from 2000 to 100 for newly created applications.
   Both of these will help ensure mail from your application arrives at the
   destination reliably.

Administration

   - *Code downloads*: As of 1.5.0, we have expanded the ability to download
   an Application’s source code to include both the user who uploaded the code
   to download it as well as the Owner(s) of the project as listed in the Admin
   Console. Owners were introduced in 1.4.2 as an admin
role<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/roles.html>
   .

Go

   - *New runtime*: With 1.5.0 we are launching an experimental runtime for
   the Go Programming Language <http://golang.org/>. Go is an open source,
   statically typed, compiled language with a dynamic and lightweight feel.
   It’s also an interesting new option for App Engine because Go apps will be
   compiled to native code, making Go a good choice for more CPU-intensive
   tasks. As of today, the App Engine SDK for Go is available for
download<http://code.google.com/appengine/downloads.html#Google_App_Engine_SDK_for_Go>,
   and we will soon enable deployment of Go apps into the App Engine
   infrastructure. If you’re interested in starting early, sign
up<https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJ6LXlIYWk4MjhnM0dubUstUHFKVXc6MQ>
   be first through the door when we open it up to early testers.

There are plenty of additional changes and bug fixes in this release so
please check out the full release notes, including all issues fixed
for Java<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/wiki/SdkForJavaReleaseNotes>
 and Python <http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/wiki/SdkReleaseNotes>.
Finally if you are interested in where App Engine is heading later this
year, check out our other announcement at I/O 2011!