Even though $9/month is pretty insignificant to many of us because
1. It is a fixed cost
2. It is small

We still should not gloss over it. Like Stephen said, this is really just a
tax for the privilege of using blob-store and other billing-enabled
services.

Having said that, I reckon that this is Google's attempt to streamline their
business package (which they are doing away with) by saying that anyone that
needs higher level services will pay a per-app or per-account cost.  In that
light, it becomes more palatable (as it simplifies the offering), and I for
one am okay with that.

I think the bigger concern is the per-instance cost. This is especially
troubling for
1. folks that depend on the always-on features in java.
2. folks in Python or the new GO runtime that don't as yet have concurrent
request support. More instances will be spun dynamically with a
consequential cost to them which is expected to be significant).

Hopefully, the new scheduler will iron out a lot of these unknowns so we're
back to being happy app-engine users. Right now, it seems we're the only
ones in the whole Google Ecosystem that's unhappy with some of the recent
announcements.

Actually, scratch that - I'm very happy for 2 things:
- GO language runtime support (the geek in me is just thrilled)
- Moving away from Preview status (I was always concerned about the life of
GAE beyond the promised 3 years support post EOL. This removes my fears).