I suspected that might be the case, but if I have a few minutes to spare
sometime I might try it out.

My startup and servicing costs is pretty minimal - I've got a
one-page-webapp and most of my calls are just AJAX calls to load and update
data, so it's typically just object to JSON and back again. So given the way
the API calls are counted and how my traffic works, I might look at getting
rid of using the datastore for fields and just store what was a collection
of items as a single larger JSON text blob (and look at moving to the
blobstore), and tune the caching in the client in terms of writing back
changes.

I suppose a dynamic API for the scheduler might make it a bit tricky for GAE
to plan (at the small scale) how to schedule work on machines, but if it was
more like a declaration of hints at startup about how long I'd prefer to
hang around when idle before being killed etc - even a declaration in
app.yaml - then I think it might go some way to allaying some of the
concerns being voiced.