Hey Steve,
  I see something similar since I've enabled always on.  But in my
case it seems to be much less extreme.  Appstats numbers are
more-or-less consistent between the two requests, clearly there is
something going on here.  The really funny thing is that the CPU ms
number is higher than would be caused by a loading request to my app.

This is exactly the same operation, ie fetching the same entity from
the datastore (no caching):
"Warm" request:
  Logs:  ms=24 cpu_ms=35 api_cpu_ms=8 cpm_usd=0.001236
  Appstats: real=11ms cpu=18ms api=8ms overhead=0ms

"Cold" request:
  Logs:  ms=110 cpu_ms=2225 api_cpu_ms=8 cpm_usd=0.062068
  Appstats:  real=93ms cpu=20ms api=8ms overhead=0ms

Robert