On Thursday, 19 May 2011 19:42:17 UTC+1, Jeff Schnitzer wrote:

> Yeah, the people building small-scale apps shouldn't worry about the
> instance quota.  They should worry about the "datastore operations" quota.

Yeah - I'm writing a one-page-webapp (that incidentally rocks on Google
Chrome and of the sort that Chrome developer relations rave about) and
intially it was talking to apache. I ported it to GAE early on as it seemed
have the a solution to the entire "authentication of users without making
yet another account" issue, and for what I'm doing (serving a few static
files and then handling AJAX calls for a few big reads per user, and then
lots of small partial updates) it looked ideal ... I've been running a few
users a day only and all is good.

But the limit on datastore operations means that I'd have to move to paying
more pretty quickly - Google are well within their rights to do so, but
pragmatically speaking I have to look if moving my datastore to a more
traditional LAMP stack or similar and buying a standard monthly hosting
scheme would make economic sense as I move from "private development" to
"stealth beta" to "limited release" to "public access".

 My bandwidth and data volumes are small, but it tends to be lots of small
operations - it would be a pity to see GAE price themselves out of being the
platform of choice for such developments, because I believe that's the sort
of crowd they want to win over to "the Google way"