So this technically would work in reducing total size, but I haven't heard
of this resulting in significant cost reductions for people. The indexes are
stored as protocol buffers, so they're fairly space efficient (
http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/overview.html). A better
strategy would be just to reduce the number of indexes you use - you can do
this by running a Mapper job
(http://code.google.com/p/appengine-mapreduce/) over
all your entities, reading them and resaving many of the properties as
unindexed (
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/queries.html#Introduction_to_Indexes
).

You need indexes for query filters and orders. Based on this entity
definition:

title: string
category: int
address: string
city: string
state: int
zip_code: string
country: string
telephone: string
website: string
menu: text
latitude: double
longitude: double
source: string
created: datetime
updated: datetime

You are probably NEVER going to need an index on menu, website, telephone or
address.

Ikai Lan
Blog: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/app_engine