My java app is setup to use Federated Login with cookie expiration 1 Day. It
works fine, however, after few hours (sometimes 1, sometimes 3) session is
invalidated for some reason and user has to login again. It does not matter
if user is being using the application all this time - authenticated session
does not seem to count that activity at all.

I guess this is not how it suppose to work. With traditional session
handling user session should not be invalidated if there is session activity
happening. And, it should not be invalidated after few hours if cookie
expiration is set to 1 Day.

Is there any additional handling neccessary at the application side? Or, do
you know what could cause such behavior?

thanks,
  anatoliy