Your interpretation of the operation count is in line with what I've
heard as well.  Although, it is sure nice to assume it refers to API
calls.  I think Greg actually posted something to the groups stating
this.  In the end, the new datastore pricing model is actually
(exactly) the same as the current model, just more clear.

I've asked 'the datastore team' (aka Alfred) about the relative
expense of writes.  I'm told it is exactly the same as a put, indexes
must be cleared and the entity removed (albeit delayed).  However,
unscientifically I see the same as you two -- deletes are much more
expensive.  Maybe Google just doesn't want to let go of those bits....
;)

I like Jason's idea, leaving garbage linger on disk forever is silly.
I'd love to be able to set a special '__delete_me_sometime__' property
to True then at some point in the 'near' (within next couple days?)
let Google's massive super deleter trash the entities en masse.  If
those entities are returned by a query it is OK, filter them in-code.

Robert