I'm very aware that GAE and AWS are different beasts and understand the
advantages of IAAS.

My point still stands though. Let's forget GAE and AWS for a second. If
someone said you can use IAAS at 4X to 8X the cost of PAAS, is it
justifiable in your mind?

Back in the day, we had dedicated servers and managed servers for a 25%
premium. I don't know what the premium should be, but 4X to 8X premium
sounds a bit high. Just something for the GAE team to think about. It would
be nice to see some price justification - it makes it easier to continue to
evangelise GAE. I can see an AWS ad as below:
"AWS hosting costs 1/8 the price of GAE, and gives you double the RAM".