Fantasm and App Engine Pipelines endeavour to solve similar problems
(i.e., distributing a large workflow over many processors in a
reliable, scalable way), but use somewhat different approaches. Both
leverage taskqueue-driven queuing but hide the actual task work from
the developer.

There are a couple of sentences comparing and contrasting the
approaches here: http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/fantasm.html#cp