From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexander
Konovalenko
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:48 AM
To: Google App Engine group
Subject: [google-appengine] Whitelisting App Engine IPs in Google APIs
console

When you are using a Google API (such as the Prediction API) from a
server-side app, the Google APIs Console lets you limit API requests to
those originating from known IP addresses or ranges [1, 2]. If you set a
whitelist and an API request comes from a non-whitelisted address, the
request will be rejected.

This can be really useful if you use some Google APIs from browser-embedded
JavaScript and other Google APIs only from server side. All APIs share the
same API key which can be retrieved by examining or debugging your
JavaScript. A malicious third party could learn your API key by viewing the
source of your site and then use the key to issue calls to other Google APIs
in your name, even if you only use those other APIs from your server-side
app.

Currently we cannot whitelist App Engine because the IP addresses used by
the app servers, backends and the URL fetch service are not known in
advance. I filed a request to add a button on the Google APIs console to
whitelist App Engine. If you're interested, feel free to star it or add your
comments:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5219

[1] Google APIs Console, Quotas pane
https://code.google.com/apis/console#:quotas

[2] Google APIs Console Help, section "Whitelisting by IP Address
(Server-side applications)"
https://code.google.com/apis/console-help/#whitelistingbyip