Recommend using a 3rd-party mailing solution like Sendgrid.com or Amazon's
new service to get some decent deliverability (possibly Mailgun is another
option). App Engine is not really trying to be a solution for this yet,
imho.

I've used bcc constructs for newsgroup-post-publication style notifications
(for ryze.com), but generally prefer generating individual msgs.

Take a look at Facebook's From address structure sometime too for amusement,
if you haven't already.

-a

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Branko Vukelic <bg.bra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few scenarios where I need to send emails en masse (batches
> of 10 to maybe 200 or 400 addresses). In some cases, the batch size
> would be a result of the amount of users' activities, and in certain
> cases the batch is for notifications sent to multiple users at once
> (something like a mailing list).
>
> The former will probably best handled by task queues, but for the
> latter scenario (notification email), I was thinking maybe using BCC
> would save some Mail API calls and time. The messages themselves are
> identical in those cases, so I see no reason why it couldn't be sent
> using BCC instead of TO field. Of course, it might have some
> consequences that I'm failing to see. Can anyone advise me on this?
>
> --
> Branko Vukelić
> bra...@herdhound.com
>
> Lead Developer
> Herd Hound (tm) - Travel that doesn't bite
> www.herdhound.com

Adrian Scott, Ph.D.
CEO, Founder
CoderBuddy