Indeed but thats the best way to be sure:
1.  See behavior in code.  Troubleshoot code.  Same result.
2.  Test behavior with remote api.  Update record via remote api.
Same result.
3.  Test behavior directly in datastore admin.  Same result.

Testing in the datastore admin quickly gets us through 'check your
code' 'check the cache' 'can we see a code snippet', etc.
Moreover, it ensures the good people at google are able to replicate
the issue under the same circumstances as laid out at the beginning.