Well appengine basically only talks HTTP. Although it has connectors
to XMPP and Email for example.

So any HTTP based protocol should work (well anything that can be
transported over HTTP - which is most!). There is no 'one size fits
all' answer. Depends on what you wanting to transport.

JSON is usually a convient communication method - bindings for just
about any language under the sun (including java and python)

Protocol buffers might help too http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/, as
could gdata, atom, plain rss, html, or even plain old CSV. :)