Thank you, this is helpful, especially the links.

I am using JPA and it's not clear to me what constitutes a "get" --
does calling EntityManager.find() always constitute a "get" or only
when the @Id of my class is the same as the underlying datastore key?

Furthermore, the docs cited by Kyle indicate that a transaction will
always return the most recently written data. However, that
contradicts this

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/queries.html

which says, "With the High Replication Datastore, non-ancestor queries
are always eventually consistent."

Which is it, are non-ancestor queries are always eventually
consistent, or can transactions cause them to be strongly consistent?

bjorn