Hi,

It means that there are alternatives to using exploding indexes (i.e. they
are no longer required to execute a given query). You can still have them
(there are cases where they are useful, namely to optimize query speed over
write cost) and the SDK will still suggest them in many cases (as it is hard
to detect them by looking at the query). However, the SDK will no long
suggest indexes with the same property repeated multiple times (as these are
obviously an exploding index).

One example where this is very important is
SearchableModel<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/trunk/python/google/appengine/ext/search/__init__.py>,
which previously was crippled by exploding indexes if you tried to sort
results (and now works as expected).

We are working on an article that goes through how to decided when to remove
or keep them, but for now the Google IO talk from 2010, Next Gen
Queries<http://www.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions/next-gen-queries-appengine.html>
(The
"Zigzag Merge Join += Sort" part), is a good resource if you want a really
deep dive on how this works.

 - Alfred