Vlad,

I hear where you're coming from, but it turned out to be App Engine's
fault.

Google Engineer's you've apparently had problems making outbound HTTP calls
to PayPal API endpoints for some time. There's lots of blog and news posts
about it going back to 2008. I am using Java URLFetch and I experienced the
timeouts >90% of the time making PayPal completely unusable from my app on
app engine. The way I fixed it was by reverse proxying through NGinx on an
Amazon EC2 instance. Works 100% of the time now.

If this is PayPal's fault, I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe
because of the reports going back. I wish this issue was fixed by now.

John