By static files, do you mean *.js and *.css files?  If yes, those
files get cached, and you may want to consider versioning those files
to ensure that the latest updates to those files are available to your
app.

Check out this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/bff599b558979164/4b764a094c91d366?lnk=gst&q=.js+files#