Hi

I am curious about your use of the term JMS as it relates to messaging in
your posting. JMS is purely an API definition and doesn't guarantee service
interoperability between different JMS  systems, whereas as messaging wire
protocols such as AMQP or XMPP do provide levels of interoperability.  A
number of JMS providers can/may use AMQP or XMPP,  JMS over SOAP transport
to provide broader interoperability.

It seems you are advocating appengine (java based) adopt JMS api for
messaging as well as build an underlying messaging system. Adopting JMS
would seem at odds with the the general thrust of appengine. Both in terms
of other language support (Python doesn't have JMS.  Python can interoperate
with various messaging systems using other interfaces based on things like
XMPP, AMQP, STOMP etc)  If google did such a thing I would imagine JMS api
would be a veneer above an XMPP/REST/PROTO-RPC based implementation.

Certainly appengine apps can participate with existing messaging systems
today (as Brandon has demonstrated)   and as documented on the Apache
ActiveMQ site.  "ActiveMQ provides a bidirectional bridge between ActiveMQ
messages and XMPP. if a client joins a chatroom / conference room, the name
of the conference room is mapped to a JMS topic of the same name"

I have a sneaking suspicion what your really want is a Message Routing
Framework like Camel. Because everything else you have asked for is sitting
there in appengine land. XMPP has pretty much moved into the
Messaging/MOM/EAI/ESB realm to some degree.

One last point, in my opinion trying to move away from HTTP as a core low
level transport is probably a mistake.  Have a read of this  article
http://spring-java-ee.posterous.com/remote-observer-pattern-with-publish-subcribe

as a good counterpoint to what you are thinking about.

Regards

Tim Hoffman