Same for me: Python SDK deployment from Linux box fails with 500
error:

Scanning files on local disk.
Cloning 1 static file.
Cloning 122 application files.
Cloned 100 files.
Compilation starting.
Compilation completed.
Starting deployment.
Checking if deployment succeeded.
Will check again in 1 seconds.
Checking if deployment succeeded.
Will check again in 2 seconds.
Checking if deployment succeeded.
Deployment successful.
Checking if updated app version is serving.
Completed update of app: XXX, version: 823
Uploading index definitions.
Uploading cron entries.
Uploading task queue entries.
Error 500: --- begin server output ---

<title>500 Server Error</title>
</head>
<h1>Error: Server Error</h1>
<h2>The server encountered an error and could not complete your
request.<p>If the problem persists, please <A HREF="http://
code.google.com/appengine/community.html">report</A> your problem and
mention this error message and the query that caused it.</h2>
<h2></h2>
--- end server output ---

- Pol