Same here. Seems like GAE is totally ignoring Always On instances.
I also noticed that even with no user hitting our app and a single
cron job that runs every 5 minutes it is still spinning instances
every 3 minutes and then killing them in 2 minutes.

This has been happening since after the upgrade on 14th July. During
peak load this really gets nasty and brings down the performance.

This is the feedback I got yesterday from one of our customers since
it takes time to spin an instance (and yes we use Spring):

"1) I found the GUI to be very laggy"

Can someone from Google please respond?