Thanks for the feedback. I can certainly understand why the blocking
techniques are discouraged; it's still hard to get out of that frame
of mind!

As for an example of "what I shouldn't be doing", the pull queue API
has a lease_task method, but as far as I can tell there is no way to
call it and have it block (for any duration) until the first task
becomes available.

If I try to lease a task via the REST API or the internal API, I ill
need to keep calling "lease_task"  over and over again until I get
some work. So either I burn CPU or I sleep in between calls and I
introduce an unwelcome delay in my processing.

Jim