Hi,
BigTable is a NoSQL DB without join feature that you know in SQL.
So you manage relations manually and do join by issuing several request
instead a single one and you join within your application context.
Basically you do more computation in your app than in the DB in this case.
But the DB is more versatile and less contrained which is a big advantage
sometimes.

Generally, you don't create normalized models in DB such as BigTable because
you can't join.
So you tend to denormalize your models (create join table) and use
redundancy.
In GAE, a great feature is the entity grouping where you can associate a
child to a parent by its key but it has its limitations also.

One thing to know is that, in the same transaction, you can target entities
only in the same group of entities.
One other thing to know is that when you fetch multiple entities in a row,
the maximum returned number of entities is 1000 but you can manage it with
offsets or better with cursors (look at GAE docs).
There are a lot of other features but begin with that ;)

regards
Pascal

PS: I'm lead developer of siena project providing a simple mapping layer for
NoSQL/SQL (http://www.sienaproject.com)