Hi

I thought I would chime in, I am slowly starting to get my head around what
you are suggesting
in terms of scheduler behaviour.

Though you do mention min idle-instances (which isn't a tuneable parameter
as I understand it.)

So I will mention what I am seeing on a low frequency use site.
We are running always on instances.

Code hasn't changed in an appreciable way over the last few months.
(changed analytics to async loading and a couple of cosmetic changes)

Webmaster tools reports that for all of June my site latency was down in the
sub 3 seconds.
As of the 1.5.2 update it has been steadily climbed to 6 secs. Its more than
likely because of out low traffic
(about 200 page views a day) that someone will always hit an idle always on
instance.

All of the dashboards configurations are currently set to default (max idle
auto, min pending latency auto)

So it would seem on the face of it, that the introduction of the new regime
(though incomplete) that
default settings are less than optimal than pre-1.5.2 and because there are
no real statistics presented
in this space the only way to try and remedy the situation is trial and
error, which
isn't really a good option on a live site.

Are you going to try an compile/present some sort of statistics so that we
can better understand what is going on.
Like a instance miss rate, % requests not server by always on/idle, rate of
new instance creation etc...

Thanks

Tim