You could have another server provide a compile service, and have your
Appengine app communicate with it via URLfetch, as you suggest. There
will be inefficiencies here obviously, and you'll have to contend with
the URLfetch size and time limits.

You could also look for pure python compilers, which could run on
Appengine.

Cheers
Greg.