The primary data centers serving App Engine are in North America, however,
assets and items that are edge cached are served from Google edge caches
which are located wherever there are Google data centers.

When evaluating page speed, it's typically assets that cause page speeds to
appear slow:

http://stevesouders.com/hpws/rules.php

Only dynamic calls to your application logic would be routed to North
America. If you follow these rules, websites should still load quickly -
there is a fairly large App Engine community in Japan.

--
Ikai Lan
plus.ikailan.com | twitter.com/ikai