Reference properties are a completely separate idea from entity groups
(ie ancestor / parent - child relationships).

Reference properties simply store a key; that key can be used to fetch
the other entity.  They can be changed to point at a different entity
as often as you like.

An entity's entity group (aka ancestor) is determined by its key --
this can not be changed.  One advantage of entity groups is that they
allow you to operate on entities within a given group transactionally.

Robert