Hi Robert and Gary,

Thank you for your input!  I have been frantically trying to decide
between Python and Java.  I have done most of my work with PHP/SQL/
JavaScript.  I have just been getting into Ruby on Rails when I
started wanting to reduce the number of servers we maintain.
Switching the school over to Google Apps was the first step.  I wear a
lot of hats responsible for pretty much the whole stack (networking,
database, programming, design, server admin, training, etc.).   I like
the idea of sleeping at night not worrying if a raid on one of my ten
year old servers is about to fail and bring down a mission critical
app.  When I discovered GAS I started a project to migrate an old
FileMaker application that was used to track professional development
for educator renewals.  It was an old, difficult to maintain, poorly
written application that required licensed client installs and a
dedicated server to keep running.  I suspect this app will not be much
of a load if I can get it up and running on GAE.

I find the Java syntax more familiar but I haven't programmed much in
either language so I think I am going the python route.  I have wanted
to have a good reason to learn python for a few years.  The code feels
kind of naked, no comforting semi-colons at the end of lines or braces
wrapping my if elses ... but it looks fast.  Right now, I need fast
and I like the brevity and clean style of code examples.  I think at
least for this app I will just stick with the webapp framework and use
the django templates.  Part of the reason I decided to go with python
is the inclusion of django which should decrease development time like
ruby on rails.  I am not comfortable with django/gae integration until
I have time to understand what works and what doesn't.  I liked the
Python/webapp/django template setup from the "Introduction", from what
I have read it seems mature and well integrated, which means
dependable to me.

Thank you for passing on the gdata-apis link I looked over it last
night.  I think using the datastore is a wise choice.  There were many
limitations trying to use Google Spreadsheet as a datastore, it will
be nice to be free of that.  Is there a datastore browser similar to
the mysql-query-browser?  Is there a way to link directly to the
datastore from an ETL tool?

I should have the Google App Engine book by Dan Sanderson in my
mailbox today which will hopefully help me with some of my newbie
questions.

Thank you!