Hi,

GAE+GWT works quite well!
If you find GWT a bit too heavy for your needs, you can also have a look at
the great lightweight Java framework Play! (http://www.playframework.org)
which brings a very nice & efficient experience in developing web sites in
RAILS/iterative mode. It's really a huge breath of air in the Java world!
For the DB interaction, an alternative is also Siena (
http://www.sienaproject.com) that is not reserved to GAE but can work with
other DB (NoSQL and also SQL) (I'm lead developer so I'm not objective on
this point :) )

regards
Pascal