FYI:

As a workaround, I tried adding the same gmail address I've been using, but
without the .'s in it, as a developer.

No dice.  It let me accept the invitation, but then the new non-dot developer
disappeared from the Permissions list.

So, apparently, GAE recognized that the two emails were actually the same
google account.

On the advice of google (over at the production issue report), I've rejiggered
my app to send from a different email account, and notified my users of the
change.

-Joshua