I am struggling with the decision of where to deploy a site I am building
with Django.
I am very keen on App Engine, and I have been reading about django-nonrel,
so that seems to be a very appealing route.
However, I have a few questions:

1.  Is it advisable to wait until the 3000-file-limit issue is solved before
deciding for AppEngine?  It seems the standard Django 1.3 is very close to
the limit, not sure about django-nonrel.  My app has something like 50-100
files right now.  I understand a fix is in progress.

2.  I read somewhere in the past that Django takes a long time to start on
AppEngine.  Is this still true now?  Is this a serious consideration?  I
tend to think not, since even other scalings (bringing up more machines on
EC2, ...) are not instantaneous.

3.  A typical request causes several hits to the datastore; typically at
least some access to a permissions table (to see if the user can perform a
given operation), followed by one or more accesses to actually carry out the
request.  Will this work relatively well?  I am worried that if the latency
to the datastore is high, since Python on AppEngine is single-threaded, then
a single AppEngine instance will be able to serve considerably fewer qps
than e.g. a RackSpace Cloud virtual machine, where the latency to the db
could be lower.  Any insight on how many AppEngine instances are equivalent
to, say, a Rackspace Cloud VM?

Thanks!! -- Luca