Hello,

First, I'm not a HTTP guy, as you might understand.

I thought I'd use GAE as a simple but scalable key/value pair
database. So I just did a quick latency check since latency is key for
performance in my scenario.

I was very surprised that the latency is in average around 280ms for
the simplest kind of request. Basically it's two lines of code that
just returns the IP of the requesting host, so there's absolutely
nothing that takes CPU time.

The ping is constantly around 35ms so it's not a problem with lag in
the network. I have a 100Mb/s line that's extremely fast on my side
(Sweden) and it's always very fast to make requests to other hosts in
US west cost.

I have performance set to 10ms and 1 instance so that shouldn't be a
problem either. I have also tried to make several requests in a row to
warm it up, but the lag only gets slightly better, from 400ms to start
with down to the 280ms I was referring to.

Is this normal for HTTP requests or is GAE slow?

I guess to make it faster I need a dedicated server and communicate
through TCP directly?

Cheers,
Mikael